Wednesday, November 23, 2011

He shunned a 3 figure salary to become a slacker

From barely passing out of IIM-Kolhapur to achieving his dream of not doing anything for long periods of time, Virat Rai shares his memorable journey from which many a lesson can be learnt by overeager youngsters.
Interviewer (I): So Virat, where did you go from IIM? Let's start there.
Virat (V): Well, I had a job offer with a prestigious MNC, which I decided to take up on an experimental basis. I don't remember clearly but...
I : Why? How long ago was it?
V : Yesterday morning. It was my first day at work. We had a boring orientation. Then we were given laptops and I did some blog-surfing on mine. I realised one fine day...
I : You mean on the same day? Yesterday?
V : Yes...that my heart was never in it.
I : 'It' meaning browsing the net on a new laptop?
V : Yes. I think at some level, the corporate culture suffocated my creativity. My childhood passion still raged and gave me sleepless nights.
I : 'Night', you mean. Last night, you didn't sleep.
V : Yes...I had always dreamt of slacking off for a bit. It had always been at the back of my mind.
I : Slacking off? And then doing what?
V : Nothing. That's it. Just you know, chilling and loafing. Whatever you want to call it. Some TV now and then, channel surfing.
I : Ok
V : I think the choice was clear. Continue in a dead-end job which didn't grip me at all or just take the plunge. And I just knew. In a moment of clarity, I found strength from deep within. I called the HR Manager and told her, 'I'm sorry, I can't do this anymore'. That was it. Done.
I : What was her reaction?
V : The HR lady? She said she didn't know who I was and then after a while said I was anyway on probation so return the laptop and be on my way. I walked out, feeling a lot lighter in my head and heart.
I : Is it true that you had a 3 figure salary which you gave up? To chase your dream?
V : Yes (smiles). I can tell you it wasn't easy. I was making close to 3 figures on a monthly basis.
I : But you worked for one day so that would be 30 rupees types max.
V : Yes, to give up that kind of financial security and not turn back. It was tempting to go back but I thought of my parents and my teachers.
I : How did that help?
V : It didn't. I'm on the run now so I can't afford to be spotted by my parents or teachers. But you know, if I think back about it now, to be fair, it wasn't like I didn't learn anything from the company. I observed closely their canteen operations.
I : And?
V : Nothing. I asked specifically if the vada was fresh and they still gave me the morning wala vadas.
I : Anything you'd like to share with our young readers?
V : Just go for it. To fulfill a dream, you should first have a dream, so sleep. Then chase it with passion. One day, the dream will happen in reality and you'll feel a bit weird and say 'Hey! This is like some deja vu' and not quite know what's going on.
I : Thank you.
V : and you may fail in the beginning but remember to keep learning. Courage will be your friend in the journey towards success, like Einstein said.
I : I'm sure.
V : Step out of your comfort zone like I did. It may be difficult but I can tell you, in the long run, things will get even worse.
I : Let me conclude by saying many won't do what you've done and for good reason. Thanks a lot, bye.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! inspirational this is.. is it based on a true story??
-balding eaGGle

Pallavi said...

Hilarious!!!