Thursday, January 23, 2014

Post feminism

Dear diary,
You won't like believe what like happened to me today. I went over to our neighbours' for tea after their repeated like invitations. Big Mistake. Unsuspecting li'l ole me enters and guess what! Aunty says 'Come in, beta, we've been expecting you, sit here'
Like I don't know where to sit just because like you know I'm a mod young woman. Well, forgive me, old lady, I have a life!
Soon enough, Uncle launches into intimate personal territory. Uh oh. Here it comes. 'Where do you work beta?'. Man o man! Don't tell me you don't get the subtext. What he actually meant to ask is 'Why do you work, you're a woman. You should be married by now and have 10 kids'
Well, old man, you are a 60 year old loser who didn't get anywhere in life, you don't have the right to judge me, please! Your wife may be the types who does karva chauth, I'd rather just kill myself than do all that shit. And the brazen duo weren't done just yet.
'Pass the water zara'. Right, like a traditional bharatiya naari. Why don't I just marry your son and massage your feet, you old sod? My only humble, humble question to you is what frikkin business is it of yours when I get married or if at all, and when I have kids. You didn't think twice before sending your idiot son abroad and let him settle there, did you? Fancy NRI job for your son, but when it comes to your neighbour who's a woman and who you call beta fondly, she has to deal with 'where do you work?' and 'pass the water'? Well, no disrespect, but here's a thought. Why don't you and your wife frikkin mind your own business like?
How much longer will we women be shackled by societal rules? This old couple decides when I get married? When I do it with my husband and how many times? Well, I have two words for you, get frikkin lost!
Diary, remind me to never eva eva again accept an invitation from this senile couple that's stuck in a time warp, in an era where women were supposed to follow their rules.
And remind me every day that I'm free. I'm me. G'nite!

No comments: