Sunday, October 14, 2018

The 87th mistake of my life

Dear All,
Yesterday, in this column, we'd talked about my 86th mistake - the story of the air hostess who I tried to kiss without success. Today we move on to February of the same year, February 14th 2017.
As is the routine in this column, I begin with an apology to the person concerned, persons in this case because I was quite prolific on that date. To keep the overall tally lower, am combining the 3 stories of that date into one, to be known as the 87th.
It began with breakfast. The lady who brought my food to the room asked me to enjoy my breakfast. We all know what that means. But strangely enough, she ran away when I tried to take the initiative. Women can be quite moody, I wrote in my journal.
I was scheduled to give an interview with an online magazine. I had set a calendar reminder to ask them to send me a photo of the interviewer before the interview. The photo came in and seemed of reasonable quality and one cannot be very picky if it's Valentine's day and you don't have a date with anyone other than your own wife.
She came in and I felt a sudden and electric connection, something I hadn't felt in hours - ever since the in room dining lady brought in breakfast that morning.
I gave her copies of my book in the right sequence - half girlfriend (would she be one?), one night at a call centre (what say?), what young india wants (obvious), the girl in room 105 (well, 503 in this case). She brushed off my moves and continued to persist with her irritating line of questioning about my new book. I spoke about the sex in my books and where I got ideas from to write that material. She seemed visibly uncomfortable and I was forced to try to massage her to make her feel better. She got up abruptly and left me alone in the room. She was married. she'd said, but then so was I. I saw this as a fundamental problem of inequality in the country where a man is ready to act on a connection he feels, but a woman is not. So much for women's liberation, I wrote in my journal.
Now when I think back on that day, I guess I was going through a phase in my life. One where I was feeling very attractive but somehow there were no results to show for the same. I continued to go through this phase till around 7 pm, just idly downloading stuff on the hotel wifi while waiting for the special connection to reappear.
The 3rd special connection was over dinner where I tried my luck with the hotel guests at the restaurant, especially two Israeli students who were in India on a holiday. But to no avail, got turned down even by the foreign women. Women really had a long way to go the world over - so much inhibition coming in the way of their progress.
As with my other columns, I again end this with the same plea to the anonymous women featured in today's column - you know who you are - feel free to reach out to me even now if interested (wink) - I have always believed connections last a lifetime.
As usual, I'm running this column past Anisha and the 86 women featured earlier just to make sure they are ok with it.
Till tomorrow then,
~C

No comments: