Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Joda Acbar not a sequel to Dhoom-II : Bowariker

This blog decided to give director Bowariker*, who is upset over industry reactions to his upcoming movie, a chance to set the record straight :
------------------------------------------------

I don't know where these rumours are coming from. I think the promo of the movie may have sparked off the rumour mills, so we are re-working the look and feel aspects. A reporter called me on my cell phone and asked me if Joda Acbar was a sequel to Dhoom-II, given the very contemporary look of the sets in the trailer. I was so offended that I didn't even bother replying.

Then there is the rumour that the elephant that Hrithik is seen fighting (or irritating, as some reviewer said) is, in fact, Abhisheg Bachhan. And further, that Joda Acbar is a part of the Bachhan Home video series and comes in a 4 dvd set along with Guru and Umrao Jan and Dhoom-II. I must say these rumour mongers have a vivid imagination, although I admit the elephant's role was first offered to Abhi but he couldn't lose weight in time for the shoot.

The last straw was when this reporter asked me if the rumour that this movie is based on a historical figure was true. What can you say? All the hours I put in researching my son's 3rd standard CBSE Social Science Textbook seem to have come to nothing. I still remember how happy I was when I was inspired to make this movie while watching Mughal E Azam. The question that kept me awake that night was ' What happens if you take these strong characters from the history textbook and put them in a crappy movie instead of a classic?' Maybe I should have just tried harder to sleep that night.

------------------------------------------------
*Bowariker is a young director who has made a landmark movie for which he will always be remembered in Bollywood. But after 'Baazi', the ride has been slightly downhill.

1 comment:

Desi in DC said...

the trailers make movie look v v boring....when we watching?