Wednesday, July 16, 2008

I'm older than I was three years back - Parthib Patail

Ghoni's absence in the forthcoming India-SL test series may just be the lucky break that young baby-faced wicket-keeper Parthib Patail was waiting for. But the only thing between him and another test match cap may be that very baby face that has endeared him to hardly anybody over the last many years.
"Just look at him. Would rather not have a keeper. And he definitely can't bat. He uses training wheels to hold up his bat in the nets" said Kumbli who believes that he is at least four times as old as young Patail.
Patail, though, is not amused. "After being dropped from the side three years back, I have consistently tried to look older. I sported a mush at one point and even got married, for God's sake. The fact is I am three years older than I was three years ago but my face still looks the same", he said, waving a copy of his birth and marriage certificate for all to see.
"It is a fact that I'm pretty much at the same place I started out with in terms of physical strength and cricketing ability. Still can't bat or keep wickets to save my life and have lost many matches for my state and 20-20 sides. But I have learnt how to take failure in my stride which is a valuable trait to have" he continued.
Will captain Kumbli give him a break in the first test? Or will young Patail be discriminated against on account of his complete lack of talent and baby face? We will know shortly.

No comments: