Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Tanu mails Manu

Congana : Make yourself comfortable. This is going to take a while
Interviewer : (Not again) Oh? I thought scoops were fast.
Congana : I did promise a scoop but I will tell it as a leettil story. I'll use third person so no one knows I'm talking about myself. There was leettil girl in the forest.
Interviewer : (This was a scoop 2 years back. God, please let it be a different story) Do go on
C : And she fell in love. Isneet a great feeling, this love? She used to imagine a knight in shining armour on a horse. And then one day, she got an email.
I : In the forest.
C : from a fakerithik@hotmail.com and he had signed off as jadoo. Her heart fluttered, she knew who this person was! He would be her knight!
I : What were the contents of the mail?
C : The mail asked the girl to download a .exe file and click and run it. Her comp crashed. But lo and behold! Jadoo's next mail was a wonder. About donating a large sum of money to a Nigerian family in need of support. The girl was overwhelmed. She also went on to win a 50000GBP award from Pepsi, forward a pic to 12 people so she did not die immediately, and when she had won over Jadoo with her commitment to his emails, upload pictures on request.
I : Sounds creepy
C : When she asked to meet him, the mails stopped abruptly and broke her heart. And then one day, she saw him in the forest.
I : How did she know what he looked like?
C : Profile pic. And I can't describe what happened then. Cut to 2 months later. The girl finds her emails in the media. She is hurt. Society was shaming her for her comp's security vulnerabilities. As a feminist icon and the sole inspiration to millions of...er...other girls in forests all over the world, the girl stood up for her rights
I : The forest girl was a feminist icon?
C : Yes. As they say, adversity always brings out the icon-ness of people. Heartbroken but still a picture of dignity and courage, the girl started speaking up for herself, and for women across the globe. Society tried to suppress the truth but she would have none of it, she suppressed it herself. Society labelled her but she changed the labels. From the filth of secrets, she emerged pure and iconic and feministic.
I : Are we done here?
C : And yet, somewhere deep inside her, is a lost little girl from the hills...
I : Forest
C : ...who believes in love, though in a more courageous, exemplary and feministic kinda way. Maybe she is naive, but her naivete also has a certain iconicness to it. If there's one thing the girl learnt from the whole thing, it was...
I : spam filters
C : ...to be her own person. Because other persons were clearly not helping.
I : This has been wonderful, am sure 2 or 3 women reading this will still find a way to be inspired.

No comments: